Sunday, September 18, 2011

God in Career

I used to dream of one day becoming a hotel manager.  I dreamed also of managing an inn because it’s smaller with a more intimate style setting where I could be fun and deliver home-made bread, chocolate chip cookies & milk each night, coffee and a newspaper in the morning, fresh flowers grown locally and garnishes for the morning breakfasts grown in the garden by the outside patio.

I then experienced work in camping and I thought…camping. Ok God.  I see this guidance here. So I found an internship at a great Christian Camp in Southern California settled in a canyon with God speaking directly to our hearts with each sunset and sunrise, mountain scenery and rushing water of the creek that cuts through the canyon.  Beauty, this is a blessing.  At the end of my internship I sensed in every direction that this is the place to be for now so I accepted the position of Guest Conference Associate to coordinate, plan and host weekend retreats!! Talk about hotel management at the best place I could imagine.  Thank you Lord!

So now, I dedicate at least 1 year (now, it's turning to 2) to see the rewards that come with staying longer at one workplace as I build relationships with coworkers and leaders that test perseverance and commitment.  After 6 months my mind began wandering to dream of going somewhere new yet I pushed past that with the sense of an overwhelming peace and content heart about where I am and what I’m doing.  So I stay.  I strive to be better. 
I see evaluations that tell us “Amy Snyder is the best at her job” thanking me for the smile heard over the phone, answering questions over and over, etc and I thank God for giving me these tangible boosts of encouragement.
Yet then I get moments where I sense pushback from coworkers, discouragement and troubling let-downs, times when I forget God and lose sight that He's calling me to MORE. That He's calling all of us to GIVE IT ALL TO HIM, that HE WILL PROVIDE A WAY and that He is WITH US.

I guess even with this caffeine-caused ramblings I should calm down so that that this one instance will not have the power to ruin my day(s) and trouble me so much that it breaks me down every time due to pent up hurt and bitterness.  Instead, I realize that I am struck down but not destroyed so i fix my eyes on Him in these light and momentary troubles. So I take this as a moment of humility and calmness and move with the moment. 
So I’m thankful for this job that I get to do now and I see that it is building in me those learning points and character traits that will be so useful for management.  I am learning to be decisive and direct others.  I’m learning how to plan and work with others.  And I am getting a hunch more and more of one day managing. I love the spiritual aspect at camp so an inn with God’s blessing is what I long for and hope for...I saw this place last night in a magazine ad and dream to visit. 

God, what do you think? Are these thoughts along with your plan for me? Do they please you? Because I think you’re up to something :)  I see you instilling these experiences and lessons in me and I thank you for this heart you have placed inside me and the inspiration to do this job well as I WORK and LIVE and EAT and BREATHE and THINK for you. Not for earthly praise or treasures but for Your Kingdom that I may see Your goodness in this land.

I love you Lord, this is ALL for you.

No comments: