Saturday, January 15, 2011

The New Year

Working at an organization whose purpose is "to provide a place away from the distractions of the world" has definitely made an impact on me. I am away from the use of a cell phone, away from access to facebook and so distracted by this new camp world I live in that I have failed to post any recent blogs.

So first things first: an update on New Years Resolutions.

1) Reading through the Bible in Chronological Order has been an incredible journey so far. I am 15 days in and have already learned details about life and stories I never knew. And I'm only in Genesis! I'm excited and blessed to have so many more days of this year to read.

In addition: my coworker is doing the very same thing. Accountability? Yes.

2) Second: to learn ballet. I hoped to find a friend to go with and I did! We are in the process of signing up for lessons beginning in February. Can't wait!


As for my life here at Forest Home, I love my job. I gave a welcome announcement today and said "My name is Amy, I'll be your host this weekend". This helped make it real to me. I am so blessed to have this opportunity to host groups who come to the mountains to get away and connect with God and each other. I've been thinking about what we do here and questioning why it seems so much easier to experienceGod up here since He is with us ALWAYS. I work with individuals who are seeking Him, I experience Winter Camp meetings full of kids who are excited about the fun and fellowship of camp, I drive home from work I see the sunset over the mountains and praise God, at night in the pitch black I see the stars and praise Him again and when I wake in the morning I read and I learn more about Him.
This made me think. And there, sitting in the prayer room of my house this morning I thought: God is everywhere, it is the openness of our hearts and minds that allows us to really experience him. Therefore, being so encompassed in the camp experience is a benefit but to pursue Him and keep my heart, mind and soul open to loving Him and loving others is the true gem.
I hope I always feel this way about my job. Therefore I'm thankful in this moment so that this gratitude may be a reminder to remain thankful. As the saying goes that Lori quoted on her blog "Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life".

2 comments:

AndrewBreece said...

First, I'm glad it's working so well for you and that your not getting lonely. You should share more of what you learn as you read.
Second, I can honestly say ballet would never be my new years resolution so more power to you. I'm doing the world justice. No one wants to see me in a tutu.
Third, I'm envious of your Jesus high you're getting from the mountains. Your'e right there's something about being up there that makes you feel closer to God. It feels humbling. I think we're both at that place where we don't know what's next for us, but we know we're exactly where we are supposed to be.
Fourth, Lori said that? Wow, go Lori.

amy said...

"...where we don't know what's next for us, but we know we're exactly where we are supposed to be"- huge life lesson Andrew, well said.

And.... Lori found the quote somewhere online, she didn't actually say it. But she could have, she's that clever.

Thanks for sharing and adding conversation to my blog!